Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Blogging Experience

Blogging for Dummies
Mt first thoughts on this class when I signed up for it, were that it was going to be like the computer classes that I took in high school. A class centered around Word, Excel, and Power Point. I was glad that it didn't because frankly I do not enjoy that stuff very much. The more stuff that we were taught in this class the more I realized the options that a teacher in a traditional class room setting would have to integrate all the technology out there into their curriculum.

When I found out we were going to be blogging I felt like a dork a little bit. My previous thoughts on blogs were ones that centered around someone with no life who had nothing better to do that to sit on a computer and type out all the problems in their life for the whole world to see. Luckily, my perception was quickly changed. The whole concept is great. it is a great way to communicate your ideas, thoughts, and opinions to the world or your target audience. I definitely learned how this can be a great asset to a teacher who wants to have an open communication line with the parents of their class.

The classmates blog that I chose to look is Taylor Irvin's. The reason I chose hers is that we are both Physical Education majors and will not be in a traditional classroom setting. I enjoyed reading her blogs, having the opportunity to get to Taylor better during this class, I noticed that she is very opinionated and she makes for a great read. She states her mind, what she likes and does not like about the topics we were given. She did a good job of incorporating pictures in her blogs. I know a lot of the stuff was new to me as it was to her. I can tell that it definitely opened her eyes to a lot of things to which she did not previously know. I think the topics were ones that challenged everyone to research.
Blog Tools
Going forth in my teaching career, I will be interested in seeing whether or not I utilize blogs into my curriculum. I think that Taylor will agree with me me on the fact that to this point, I just do not know how I could utilize it. I think the upside to blogging for those who do use it, is that is a great way to keep people informed. One drawback is that it is on the internet and therefore there are alot of privacy issues. Those issues are ones that should not be taken lightly, especially when your blog contains information about your students, because lets face it, there are a lot of screwed up people in this world with sick minds. You have to be careful.

No comments: